5 Days – Departures:
14, 23, 30 August 2020
13, 27 September 2020
Samothrace is green, full of water, smells of herbs and a mystical beauty. Saos, the wild and permanently rebellious mountain of the island, emits energy that captivates and fascinates. On its slopes where Vathres are located (impressive natural pools created by waterfalls) there is a diverse crowd: Athenians and Thessaloniki neo-hippies, intellectuals, families and the elderly from Thrace and Macedonia. The intellectuals find rooms to rent in Kamariotissa, the families in the hotels in Loutra and the youth set up tents under the lush vegetation of the two campsites. In the evening everyone meets in Pyrgos, the picturesque mountain Chora with the medieval castle, for a drink or dessert and in Loutra (or else Therma) in the shops located in a dense forest of plane trees. In the morning, those who do not rest in the shade of trees or on the beaches walk to archeological sites to see ruins of monuments of the Archaic, Hellenistic, Roman and Byzantine eras. Among the highlights are the Arsinoe, the largest circular building of antiquity, and the Sanctuary of the Great Gods, where the ceremonies of the Kaverian Mysteries took place, while in various places you will see towers that are considered important examples of late Byzantine fortress architecture of Greece. It is worth taking a short cruise to see the strange geological shapes in the southern part of the island associated with local legends, secluded beaches, and waterfalls that fall directly into the sea and coastal or sea caves.
ATHENS – ALEXANDROUPOLI
Morning departure from Syntagma. With intermediate stops we will arrive to Alexandroupoli, the capital of the prefecture of Evros, an important port and commercial center of northeastern Greece. Accommodation at our hotel, dinner, overnight.
ALEXANDROUPOLI – SAMOTHRACE
Breakfast and departure for a short tour in Alexandroupoli. Here we will see the copy of the famous statue of the Victory of Samothrace donated by the Louvre Museum where you find the magnificent original. Next we depart for the Port of Alexandroupoli where we will take the ferry to beautiful Samothrace. Our trip will take about 2 hours. Transportation and accommodation at the hotel. Next we will go to Profitis Ilias, a mountain village with age-old plane trees from where we will see from above Imbros and Tenedos. We will continue for Vathres, the Fonias Waterfalls and the Towers of Gattilusios, the medieval fortifications that dominate on a hill overlooking the sea. Return to our hotel in the afternoon. Dinner in a local tavern for us to taste the famous goat on the spit. Overnight.
PALEOPOLIS – VATHRA
Breakfast and our day starts from the archeological site of Paleopolis. Visit to the sanctuary of the great Gods where the Kaverian Mysteries take place, famous throughout ancient Greece, where the world-famous statue of the Victory of Samothrace was found. Our next walk in Vathres, a magnificent landscape and a hike between plane trees and springs that end in natural lake basins. At noon we will have lunch in a tavern under the plane trees and we will enjoy a stuffed goat with local delicacies. Free in the afternoon or we suggest a walk.
MOUNT SAOS – GATTILUSI CASTLE – THERMA
Breakfast and visit chora located on a slope of Mount Saos amphitheatrically built so that it is not visible from the sea and pirates. Walk in the picturesque alleys, visit the Genoese castle of Gattilusi. Coffee and traditional sweets in the shops of the village, local souvenirs and pastries. Then by bus we will go around the island to where the road ends enjoying the rich flora of Samothrace. Whoever wishes can swim at an organized beach in Therma. In the evening very close to the hotel we will dine in a traditional tavern with fresh fish and seafood from the trawls.
SAMOTHRACE – ALEXANDROUPOLI – ATHENS
Morning departure by ferry to Alexandroupoli. With the necessary intermediate stops we arrive in Athens in the afternoon.
Price per person:
(price for all
(price for all
*Child’s price is based on one child΄s stay (up to 10,99 yrs), in the same room with two (2) adults in an extra bed.
- Transportation by air-conditioned coach.
- Ferry tickets Alexandroupoli – Samothrace – Alexandroupolis.
- One (1) night in Alexandroupoli in a 3* hotel.
- Three (3) nights in Samothrace in a 3* hotel.
- Four (4) breakfasts at the hotel.
- Four (4) meals in local taverns.
- Leader / escort.
- Liability & professional liability insurance.
- Entrances to museums, archeological sites, theme parks and generally where required.
- According to article 53 of Law 4389/2016, from January 1, 2018 all hotels and other tourist accommodation are required to charge tax in favor of the State, under the name “Residence tax”. This tax is not included in the prices of our pricelists or excursions, as it should be paid by the customer directly to the hotel with a separate Deed / receipt upon arrival or departure. The tax per room / per night is: Hotel 3* 1,50 € / Hotel 4* 3,00 € / Hotel 5* 4,00 €.
- Everything that is not explicitly mentioned in the program or referred to as optional or proposed.
- Caution! Lace closed shoes for walking in the archeological site and Vathres.
- Half board is available at local taverns.
- On the third day the half-board takes place at noon and is offered the local stuffed goat.